Monday, September 2, 2013

Springstead Triathlon

This race report is coming late but better late than never!  This sprint tri took place on Aug 11th up in Springstead, WI located between Mercer and Park Falls.  It's a small but well run event.  I had Rev3 in the Dells penciled in but between cost and doing some rehab on my In-Laws house the couple days before we felttoo beat up to go to the Dells.  The race consisted of a 1/4 mile swim, 16 mile bike and a 5K.  We were there in plenty of time but for whatever reason got rushed at the last second and didn't get a chance to warm up.  We quickly got our wetsuits on and went to the lake.  The horn went off and we were off!  I had some good pacing to start off and quickly saw the 1/4 mark buoy.  I was feeling good! I rounded the end boat to head back and then for whatever reason I stated to get winded as I did in my first tri of the year.  the rst of the way back I struggled.  UGGGG, not his again!  I exited the water and got on the bike.  The roads were ok to start out with and I had a good tail wind.  I was averaging about 22MPH on the bike.  As I got to about mile 5 or so I had to turn onto a side road that was anything but good surface.  Aseries of blacktop heaves caused me to be careful and spent too much time out of aero.  On the way back I had a good head wing hitting me and was seing 18 to 19 MPH on the speedo.  Ended the bike averaging 20.3 MPH so I'll take t.  Got off the bike and started the run.  Was feeling good!  Garmin was showing about a 8:30 pace.  Bugs were starting to get me on the way back and I got a little distracted with that and the heat.  I started to feel a "bonk" at around 2.5 miles and plugged ahead never stopping.  Craossed the finish lin in 1:30:31, not my best time. Timing was a start and end only so I don't really know what my swim or T1/T2 was.  Looking at the results it appears I came in about 4th overall.  Not my best race of the year but did it to keep the practice up.

Chris














No comments:

Post a Comment