Wednesday, June 24, 2015

First Triathlon in almost 2 years!

Well, I'm still nursing some injuries including a pinched nerve in my neck and some type of turf toe but I had enough, it was time.  After bowing out of a duathlon and triathlon due to weather and costs I thought this is a make or break time for me.  If I didn't do this event it would be a downhill slide and I would keep making excuses to not do one.  I have only been in a lake about 3 times over the last two years so I new my swim was going to be weak.  I recently sold my tri-bike so this event was going to be done on my roady, the bike I built from the ground up with a Nashbar frame and 105.  I also bought some stability running shoes and a foot plate to help with the turf toe.  Going into this race I had no aspirations to win, I just wanted to embrace it, compete, and shake off some demons.  I wanted to keep the swim to around 10 to 12 min (I know, turtle speed) and not panic in the water.  For the bike I wanted to have a 15 MPH average and the run I wanted to keep a 10ish min mile.

I didn't have any nerves for the race like I have in the past, I don't now why.  Maybe with the pressure off to place it didn't cause anxiety?  Ann and I got to the event with a decent amount of time to get transition set up.  I registered, got marked and then found the place I wanted to be in transition.



The Olympic division started first so I had to wait a good 30 to 40 minutes for the sprint to start.  It was HOT!  I stayed in the shade until the last minute then put the wetsuit on and went into the lake to warm up.

It was our turn.  I didn't want to get hit and bumped too much so I lined up to the outside and went towards the back of our group.  The gun went off and I was off!  I got into a good groove early on.  By a few hundred feet in I started to overtake a few weaker swimmers but I was pulling to my right and getting in the "mix".  After getting kicked and hit some I readjusted and things cleared out a little.  I rounded the first buoy then the second and I was in the final stretches heading in.  As I came out I was quite winded, more than I used to be.  Ann yelled my time, "10 SOMETHING!!!" is all I heard.  I had to walk a little up the hill and to transition.





I dried off and got on the bike.  It took a few minutes for me to catch my breath.  I felt really good on the bike.  It was a 10 mile ride and the roads had a few small hills but nothing too bad.  I did drop the chain on one hill and lost about 20 or 30 seconds getting it back on.  When I got to about a mile from T2 I started to spin more and stretch my calves and hammies.  I knew they were tight.  Did I push too hard on the bike?  In the end, I wound up averaging 17 MPH on the bike, MUCH better than I anticipated.  I dismounted and everything locked up in the back of my legs.



After walking through T2 I started out on my 3.1 mile run.  The first half mile is usually a little rough for me and this was no exception.  I was tight and having issues.  I had to stop and rub my hamstrings and calves.  As I kept going I did something I never have done before.....I walked.  For whatever reason I hit a wall.  I wound up running a few hundred yards then walking a few hundred yards.  By the time of the turnaround my quads were cramping.  This was NOT the run I was hoping for, even with turf toe!  I resigned myself to "embracing the suck" and simply chalking it up to lack of training and prep.  I tried to simply enjoy it realizing this was something I hadn't done in quite some time. As I came in to the finish line I was hurting, out a energy and bonking, BUT I DID IT!

  




Overall, I did Ok.  I felt really good about my swim and bike!  As expected, I didn't win anything and came in 6th out of 8 in my age group.  Now that the dust has settled, my only thought is "when's the next race?"  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment