Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Healthy Ice Cream

One of the things that I find a fun challenge is to take an unhealthy recipe and turn it into a healthy one.  My latest attempt has been to recreate a good tasting ice cream that is healthy and not full of artificial chemicals.  I think that I have done it!

Cut up a banana into 6-7 chunks and freeze it in a freezer-safe container.
When frozen, place chunks into a food processor/blender and use the pulse mode to grind them up.
Add whatever other ingredients that you would like.  I suggest other fruits (frozen is better), cocoa, powered peanut butter, nuts, or whatever else strikes your fancy.  Feel free to add a natural sweetener if you so desire.

The banana has a very mild flavor which blends with the other items.  Last night I made chocolate peanut butter, and the banana flavor was hardly noticeable.  The texture out of the food processor is similar to a soft-serve, but you can refreeze if you prefer a hard ice cream.  It tastes like ice cream with little to no fat, how awesome is that! Give it try the next time you have that sweet tooth!

Feel free to email me with questions or unique combinations that you have tried.

Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment