Monday, June 25, 2012

Minocqua Island Swim Challenge!

So I was looking on facebook last week Thursday and saw this race.  It was the first year for the event and I was intrigued.  It was a 1 mile swim out and back in Lake Minocqua.  Now, I have been swimming a fair amount this year but have only done one .93 mile practice drill so far and I did one last year, so needless to say I didn't have many big swims under my belt.  I wanted the challenge and thought it would be a good test to see where I am.  Nothing like an impromptu race!  So, I got there about 7:45 that morning, signed up and started chatting with some fellow racers.  After the mandatory swimmer meeting I suited up in the wetsuit and did some warm up swims.  I knew I was in a field with some very strong swimmers, some on collegiate teams so this time around I decided to stay in the back of the pack so I could concentrate on form and maintain a good rhythm.  The gun went off and everyone took off.  It did take me a few more seconds to get swimming as the front pack cleared out.  About 1/3 of a mile in I was thinking...."This is long!" as I was siting buoys.  LOL!   Overall siting was pretty good.  There were a few times I needed to make adjustments but overall I was pleased with staying on course.  I never really was passed and I did pass a few people along the way.  Felt good to see the finish line!   Total time was 43:43 ranking 9 out of 12 in my AG and 60 out of 71 overall.  The good news was that other than a little dizzy coming out of the water, I was not tired.  This will play well in my triathlons going into T1 and the bike. Time was almost exactly what I thought it would be.  I could have pushed it a little more but wanted to make sure I didn't run out of steam towards the end.  Form was ok, and I'm still trying to improve on it.

I'm in the black Xterra wetsuit adjusting goggles.





No comments:

Post a Comment